Using Atera from Linux to manage other devices?

Options
kory
kory Member Posts: 6
edited December 2023 in Remote Monitoring

For a long time now I have been wanting to use Linux my main OS, but I haven't been able to find a way to remote into other desktops THROUGH Atera while on Linux. My flavor of choice is Zorin OS 16, which is based from Ubuntu 20.04 I believe. I have been able to install Splashtop RMM, but everytime I try remoting into someone's desktop, it tells me that "There is no software available to open this file" and shows some random file. Can anyone help me out here? I'm will to switch to a different flavor if it means that I can use Atera from Linux. Any pointers even would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• dyoder
    dyoder Member Posts: 52 ✭✭✭
    Options

@kory I don't think Splashtop will work from a Linux device. The Splashtop Streamer can be installed on a Linux device so you can connect to that device from Windows or Mac.

If you did manage to get Splashtop RMM/Business installed (I'm guessing you used wine or something), it sounds like you just need to set the correct URI/protocol handler in your browser for calls to Splashtop. It might work but you'll probably need to manually glue the parts together - especially if you've installed a Windows binary on Linux, because I'm pretty sure Splashtop does not make a Linux client.

This is totally my own personal opinion, but if you're primarily supporting Windows endpoints, it would make your life a lot easier if you support those endpoints from a Windows device. However, if you primarily support Linux endpoints, and remoting into a Windows endpoint is less frequent but required, then I'm sure you can get this working. If you do, I'd be interested to know how it goes! About 10% of the endpoints I manage are headless Linux servers, and my home computer is Linux, but my daily driver is a Windows laptop.

• kory
    kory Member Posts: 6
    Options

Splashtop does make their RMM and Business programs for Linux now (although they are only in beta) but the issue I am having is that I can't get my browser to open it through the Splashtop RMM program that is installed, and I am not sure of how to make the URl/protocol handler in my browser call for Splashtop. I could try installing it through Wine to see if it would work, but I have heard that it is very laggy running through Wine.

• dyoder
    dyoder Member Posts: 52 ✭✭✭
    Options

Have you opened a ticket with Splashtop?