High Memory usage alerts - lots of them!

Options
NJS_FCL
NJS_FCL Member Posts: 10
edited December 2023 in General

Hi, has anyone else recently seen a massive spike in high memory usage alerts? We've had hundreds across all customers! I logged a ticket to ask if there was a known issue affecting all instances however i was just told to add exceptions to our anti-virus software. It must be a general issue.. Anyone?

Comments

• derek
    derek Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Options

No more than usual. We use Eset AV

• bahlquist
    bahlquist Member Posts: 15
    Options

Crowdstrike Falcon shop here, we haven't seen anything abnormal here either.

• AElliott
    AElliott Member Posts: 8
    Options

We're using Bitdefender Gravity zone via Atera "integration", and have thousands of high memory alerts. Process Explorer shows BD eating various Dell software.

Most computers are unusable, and those that kind of are have 100% CPU usage as well.

• scott
    scott Member Posts: 6
    Options

SAME HERE!!! Bit Defender on all.

• scott
    Options
  • NJS_FCL
    Options

Yep we're on Bitdefender too but not deployed via Atera integration. Is it worth a support ticket with Bitdefender? Anyone got a fix for it?

• sarah+success
    sarah+success Administrator Posts: 70 admin
    Options

Hi all, Sarah from Atera here.

As of now, our support team is aware of this issue, and has suggested that you whitelist the Atera Agent and domains.

Please open tickets so our support are aware of more people with this issue!

• NJS_FCL
    Options

Hi Sarah, I have raised a ticket and this was the advice
    Add the following paths to the Antivirus whitelist: C:\Program Files\Atera Networks (or C:\Program Files (x86)\ATERA Networks for 32bit) C:\Windows\Temp\AteraUpgradeAgentPackage

is this consistent with what you are saying above? This will take a lot of resources as we have many Bitdefender companies with many policies that all need amending!

• sarah+success
    Options

Hi @NJS_FCL , I am taking a look at the ticket. Please keep communication there so our support can assist :)

• NJS_FCL
    Options

Hi we have just implemented the whitelisting of the two Atera related folder paths in ALL out Bitdefender policies. We are still seeing one or two alerts for High Memory usage coming in however i cannot be sure that the new Bitdefender Policy has downloaded to those clients yet. I guess time will tell if we see an overall downward trend of alerts in the coming hours…

• NJS_FCL
    Options

Hi @Sarah_from_Atera I've implemented the Whitelist on all our policies however still getting lots of Memory High alerts. I've logged a ticket with Bitdefender but they are saying the top high processes that Atera is reporting are not their processes, they are mostly SVCHost and Memory compression.

• sarah+success
    Options

Hi @NJS_FCL , the whitelisting solution I mentioned is still being examined. Our support team is aware of this, and please continue to update your ticket.

• AElliott
    Options

Negative. Even scaled back BD's modules to get no change in high memory alerts. 100% disk-usage time as well.

I'm questioning why the event logs are filled with Atera agent installation logs like every 10 seconds. This has been going on for a little while, but I don't think it's proper behavior.

• kristof
    kristof Member Posts: 8
    Options

Did anyone log a ticket with Bitdefender for this?

• AElliott
    Options

I did. They told me to disable pieces of BD until the resource usage nomalized. I've been building new Policies to deploy on certain devices to test, but have not had much time to fielding "everything is slow" complaints from literally every user across the board.

• AElliott
    Options

We thought we had pinned it down to a Dell BIOS update, but it's happening on other brand hardware as well.

• AElliott
    Options

NOTE: I have confirmed that this isn't happening on machines that don't have BD installed.

• scott
    Options

I can confirm this as well - Mostly a Dell shop, but definitely happening on other PC's (can't nail down exact commonality as its not across the board) - but all have BD

• kristof
    edited August 2023
    Options

where the past week memory usage in Atera was shown as a flat, horizontal line (indicating continiuous high memory usage) the lines are now fluctuating again on most of the clients indicating the issue has been addressed by Atera or Bitdefender. Did anyone catch an update on this through Atera or BD helpdesk?

EDIT: still getting a lot of high memory alerts though …

• kristof
    Options

Logged a case with Bitdefender through our managing partner. Would any of you who has already logged a ticket number and did a follow up on BD suggestions be so kind to PM their ticket number so I can refer to it? Thanks!!

• mspstack
    mspstack Member Posts: 4
    Options

Seeing it here as well with BitDefender. Has anyone come across a solution yet?

• kristof
    Options

not yet :-(

• sarah+success
    Options

Hey everyone - wanted to update here that we have reached out to BitDefender on our end and will get back with more info.

Appreciate the continued patience here 🙏

• mspstack
    edited August 2023
    Options

Still happening here. Only common thread is BitDefender. Thing is, it's not happening on every PC with BitDefender.

• jamesj
    jamesj Member Posts: 2
    Options

I'm mostly seeing the issue on Windows 10 devices with BitDefender.

• Valentin
    Valentin Member Posts: 2
    Options

I’m also getting more memory alerts than normal. However, it’s not only on Bitdefender devices.

One thing I have noticed is that when looking at the CPU and Memory Metrics (Last month view) there seems to have been a change around August 21st. Almost all devices show this change (both Bitdefender and non-Bitdefender devices).

I don’t know if it’s related to the memory alarms.

On almost all devices I have checked with this behavior Atera’s AgentPackageTaskManagement is shown as most active process in Task Manager - related?

• mspstack
    Options

We really need some update here. It's getting to be a pain and happening randomly. You'll know you're effected because memory usage sits at 99% and the PC is non-responsive. It started on Aug 14th, here we are 2 weeks later, and still no resolution.

• mspstack
    Options

Think this is separate. The BitDefender issue has memory going to 99% utilization.

• kristof
    Options

this seems to be a separate issue indeed, I've sent the exact type of screenshots to Atera and Bitdefender support with the Last month usage graphics. From Aug, 20 on the graph lines are going nuts compared to before.

• scott
    Options

Any update here Sarah? I'm having to move all my Bitdefender licenses to another provider