Splashtop vs AnyDesk

Options
mjones
mjones Member Posts: 137 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2023 in Remote Monitoring

New to Atera and looking to see how everyone is setup for the best of all worlds.

How are you all using the two remote access tools; both or just one of them?

Anyone sticking to just AnyDesk ? (Why ?)

Tagged:

Comments

• derek
    derek Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Options

With Spalshtop, unless you get the paid version, only one technician can connect to a machine, with anydesk two or more technicians can connect to the same machine.

There is/was? a problem with the version of AnyDesk where it uses the same password to connect to a machine so a hacker could theoretically connect to a machine with AnyDesk by trying random passwords.

I am not sure if this has been fixed yet.

• mjones
    Options

That AnyDesk issue is concerning, do you have an article or KB I could look at ?

• pmitpaul
    pmitpaul Member Posts: 13
    Options

I'll probably use both, keeping Splashtop as my default since it has worked well for me. If you keep them both enabled, then the other one will install if you try to connect with it so both seems like a good option to me.

The main thing I hate with Splashtop is the inability to view multiple monitors on the same screen. Opening up multiple AnyDesk connections isn't the most elegant solution but at least it can be done.

I'm a solo shop, so the multiple concurrent techs doesn't affect me but it would be a deal breaker if it did and would definitely choose Anydesk had more techs. Still probably would choose Anydesk as the default anyway if I was starting today, but going to keep it as a secondary connection and install it as needed since Splashtop is already deployed.

I did purchase a remote support plan from Splashtop a while back around the same time Atera rolled out their Work from Home product as it was significantly less expensive (and still is by a large margin if you need more than 8 seats) so I don't see myself getting away from using it. - This is not a plan that allows concurrent techs as I can't use Splashtop on systems being accessed from employees working from home.

The issue with the passwords mentioned by derek seems concerning but wondering if that is for a different version of Anydesk and not the client Atera uses? Atera seems to generate a different password each time, the unattended access doesn't seem able to be configured on the end user and the 'log on automatically' can't be checked when connecting. I am also interested to know if there is a KB or something to reference to make sure I understand the vulnerability if there is one.

I did see this on Anydesk site under enabling unattended access and maybe what is being reference (but doesn't seem applicable here):

Caution:The password should be very secure. Anyone who knows the password and your AnyDesk ID can potentially have full access to your computer depending on the available permissions. A password that exceeds at least 12 characters is highly recommended.

• derek
    Options

Its on the Atera Facebook support page, sage for AnyDesk and look at Sam Godfrey's post. Here is a bit about it.

"As I've discovered that because the agent remains on the machine as standard, and loads with Windows, the perpetual 9 digit code it creates is accessible from any installation of Anydesk OUTSIDE of Atera.This means if someone "accidently" enters a 9 digit code of one of your client's machines, the client will get an accept / decline prompt.We've has this happened twice now to our knowledge. A prompt coming up saying someone other than us wants to access their machine.Atera first tried to reassure us Anydesk wasn't possible to access outside of Atera, we proved it was and they now say, yes this is by design of Anydesk and not an issue.Give it a go if you want.... open anydesk agent on a machine from the task tray, note the code and drop that into anydesk app on your phone.Our atera is installing7.0.14 anydesk. Under this your client will then get a prompt to connect.I've been assured that this isn't a security issue, but we manage 800 odd devices, all accessed via anydesk through atera, 2 have had unsolicited prompts to accept a remote connection that were reported to us. It only takes one user to click accept for hell to reign.I am also confident in saying this didn't used to be an issue because it's something we tested when we first rolled anydesk out, and it used to say access denied (or similar) when on a different LAN and outside of Atera"

• pmitpaul
    Options

TY! I don't have FB so no wonder I didn't see it and appreciate you doing the copy paste.

That is very concerning and going to test this myself. Like they said, only takes one person to accept to cause a world of problems.

• pmitpaul
    Options

FWIW, I did just try this on my phone like it said and got a 'Logon disallowed' message.

• derek
    Options

Great, it sounds like the issue has been fixed then. They did say they where looking into Whitelisting the requests.

• mjones
    Options

This is some great insight!
    Thanks for the info. Solo here also, and just trying to figure out how everyone else is running things.