Wake on LAN

This is the support case I logged with Atera:

Since Last week, Wake on LAN stopped working. It was working fine before and was used extensively. I initially thought it was punishment because of non-payment but it is still not working even after payment was made. This is affecting our business significantly.

The reason I am posting here is that I have had very bad experiences with Atera Support. The people who have responded to my queries have been ignorant and arrogant.

From previous experience, I am expecting Atera support to send me links to non-relevant articles and then give me the run-around.

Sadly, Atera has a very good product with very bad support.

Comments

• mbudke
    mbudke Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭

Hi @PeeBeeCee ,

I did a quick test in my environment and I can confirm that WoL still works fine for me.
    What happens if you run a different 3rd party WoL tool on a computer manually - do the computer still boot up? This will help to identify if the issue is down to Atera or maybe something more general.
    I am not sure if Atera customer can be on a different version. My UI already did change a few days ago.

@gilgi : Is this something you can check if customer can be on different version and if yes how we can verify?

In regards to the support I personally would not agree. Of course you can get a bad day in which the supporters are stressed but I would mark this as an exception. In most cases the support was very helpful, listening careful and providing good steps. Always take into account that they do not know your knowledge-level so they might start with simple questions and get more complex with the next questions.

I would recommend to use the chat support instead of email. In my case this always led to a quicker solution.

• gilgi
    gilgi Administrator, Moderator, Internal Posts: 235 admin

Heya, thanks for pinging @mbudke 🙏

My support team member has confirmed that this issue (new one) has been reported and devs are fully aware and working on it, it seems to be related with the new UI.

Our support added that there might actually be two separate bugs, it's still being investigated as we pend some responses from customers.

Specifically, @dragos.t has shared with me that they found the following:
    1. The UI does not open the popup window for the Wake on Lan function to work «— known and replicated, in the works for a fix.

2. The Wake on Lan feature does not wake a device. This feature allows you to change the stated of an offline device from online using another agent on the same network. «— If you are are experiencing this, please open a ticket with support, they require more info.

Thanks once again for flagging @PeeBeeCee, appreciate your help identifying and articulating these issues.

• mbudke
    mbudke Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭

FYI:
    When you open the device by clicking on the device name in the new UI list and then click on "Wake up" on the top of the screen you get the popup and you can wake it up properly.

At least this works fine within my environment.

• PeeBeeCee
    PeeBeeCee Member Posts: 6

FYI

This is part of a message I just received from Atera support:

"Dragos Gabriel Tulbure (Atera)

Aug 30, 2024, 09:23 GMT+3

Hello Patrick,Hope you are doing well.We have done some additional tests regarding the issue.Currently, we were able to replicate one issue, the one related to the popup message. It appears that on the Devices page when you click on the Wake on Lan button, there is no popup to select a device to wake the offline agent. "

They sent me a workaround that works.

This time the support was very good. No bullshit.

• PeeBeeCee

Thank you mbudke.

This is the workaround Atera support sent me which I have been using happily.

• pablo.perez
    pablo.perez Member Posts: 1

What was the workaround please?

• PeeBeeCee

The issue was fixed by Atera. Please read the Post by mbduke of August 30 above for the alternate way to use Wake on LAN in Atera.

• gilgi
    gilgi Administrator, Moderator, Internal Posts: 235 admin

Appreciate the update @PeeBeeCee