A discussion around search and a suggestion for it. (or how do I find a particular model of printer)

first a background on how I got here.

So, I need to find if any clients have a particular printer model as I have some toner here to move on.

It seems that Atera does not list the printers anywhere - not even in the reports.

I get my bright idea to put the list of printers into a custom field using the script and then search for the printer model using Atera search at top.

the problem is that this search does not search ALL THE THINGS. - those custom fields which contain the information I desire do not get searched by the search bar

so 2 suggestions.

1. search all the things
  2. implement a way for us to search for a printer by model and surface where that printer is. (the PRINTERS report in advanced reports does not tie the printer back to anything - no site, no agent, no nothing - also does not display the actual model number of the printer anywhere)

Comments

• dragos.t
    dragos.t Internal, Support Moderator Posts: 51 admin

Hello @COOLNETAU,

I did some testing on my end, and indeed, the search bar does not offer results based on custom fields.

I will forward this feedback internally, and I would also suggest you post this idea on our Feature board so that our internal teams can keep track of such requests better.

Use The Atera Features Board – Atera Support

While this is annoying, I have a workaround that can help with this.
    First, create a custom field for SNMP devices where you add the model.
    Then you can use the filters on the Devices page to find all of your devices based on the model.

In this example, we have a custom field for an SNMP device with the text Dragos SNMP.

If i go to the devices page, click on filters, then Select Device Type = SNMP, then click on Advance filters.

With advanced filters, look for the Category SNMP - Custom fields, then select the field that you want to query, for example, Model = Dragos SNMP in this example, then click on Apply.

Now all devices that have that model will be displayed on the dashboard.

For future reference, you can also create custom views, so you don't have to make these filters every time you want to find them.

Filter devices and create views – Atera Support

• COOLNETAU
    COOLNETAU Member Posts: 50

whilst this is well and good, a direct connected printer would not be found by this method.