MSPs and IT advice and having difficult clients heed warnings

Options
kim
kim Member Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

Hi my fellow IT pros! I have a few clients that I manage their devices in Atera, so I can see how their machines are performing. I do KBRs with them every quarter and I have two that have computers on the brink of disaster. We have data back up recovery in place as well, but when I tell them that it is in my professional opinion that they should consider upgrading their five or more years old machines, they refuse!

Most of these are small businesses that have never had an IT department, but needed one with the increase of e-commerce. I’ve created reports, graphs, and even the effects of being down for a week without a machine and how that affects revenue. Nothing but crickets and burying their head in the sand.

My question for you is how do you deal with these type of clients? I do have a clause in our contract about if something happens due to negligence on their part my company is good, but I also don’t want them to have to go through that pain.

Also, would you still keep them as a client or would you make an exit?

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• derek
    derek Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Options

Have you put it in writing that the two machines could fail at any time?

Also I would explain that if they have insurance in place regarding IT problems it would probably be bull and void as the issue is a preventable issue.

• kim
    Options

Hi Derek!

Yes I do have in writing about the failing machines and the potential consequences of them crashing at any moment.

I do have them sign my report saying I went through it with them, but I think that's a great idea to add a "I declined" type of verbiage in my contract. I'm assuming this is similar to a doctor having a "patient declined care" type of phrasing.

Other than those that definitely covers my business, on the client level, I don't want to see them fail and at the same time I don't want it to be an "i told you so" moment. I'm just wondering if there are any other approaches that I might be missing.

• derek
    derek Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Options

I understand where you are coming from, I myself don't like to be in a told you moment.

Sometime people have to learn things the hard way.

I would try having another discussion with them to try and understand their concerns and objections. Are they worried about costs? Disruption to their operations? Compatibility issues? Tailor your message to address these specific concerns. Sometimes people get worried about not being to be able to use certain programs if their machines are upgraded, due to compatibility issues or maybe they just don't have disks/ user name passwords anymore.

Present a range of upgrade options that suit their budget. Sometimes clients may be more willing to consider upgrades if they have choices at different price points.

• kim
    Options

Thank you @derek! I like that idea about explaining the compatibility for their existing environment as well. It might not completely alleviate their concerns, but I think it is a better approach. I think at the end of the day we just want what's best for our customers so they can keep doing the awesome things that they do.

Sincerely,

Kim