Keeping Software Bundles Up to Date

Options
mjones
mjones Member Posts: 137 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have any best practices for keeping the software bundle versions up to date, other than checking them weekly to make sure they are setup with the latest versions?

I am seeing that despite there being newer versions available in chocolatey for the apps in the bundle, it uses the listed version instead when you install. (which can be really old if you don't update regularly)

I can see this being a good thing for some with strict version controls, but I just want my bundles to always be the latest version.

Tagged:

Comments

• dragos.t
    dragos.t Moderator Posts: 16 mod
    Options

Hello @mjones,

I hope you are doing well.

Even if your Software bundle shows an old version, Atera will attempt to install the latest version available through Chocolately/Homebrew.

For example, I have the following bundle with 7zip only, which has version 21.7.

When I install the bundle on a device, Atera will install the latest version available. I just installed the bundle on a device and it shows 23.01.

So, even if you have an older version in your bundle, the latest version should be installed.

In case you want to keep your software applications updated, you can also use the Software Management
    Update All options in IT Automation.

Hope this helps.

• mjones
    Options

Interesting.

I updated all of my bundles yesterday before posting this, and the Choco logs are calling for the older version despite there being a newer version available. Chrome for instance. I do see that it is calling for a generic installer though.

Chocolatey installed 1/1 packages.
    See the log for details (C:\ProgramData\chocolatey\logs\chocolatey.log).
    Installing the following packages:
    GoogleChrome
    By installing, you accept licenses for the packages.

GoogleChrome v124.0.6367.78 [Approved]
    googlechrome package files install completed. Performing other installation steps.
    Downloading googlechrome 64 bit
    from 'https://dl.google.com/dl/chrome/install/googlechromestandaloneenterprise64.msi'

• dragos.t
    dragos.t Moderator Posts: 16 mod
    Options

Hello @mjones,

Can you attempt to install the bundle on a test device, then look at the version that appears in the Software inventory on the device?

• mjones
    Options

I guess what I am saying is that it installs the latest version due to happenstance. If the Chocolatey package called a specific installer, it would install the old version because that is what is being called for by the bundle (as you see in the logs).

Chrome for example calls a generic installer which happens to always be the latest version. So in this case you are right in that it will install the latest version, but this likely doesn't apply to all Chocolatey packages.

Now that I have looked at it, it's kind of a "by design" type of issue. You just need to know the logic it is using.