Software Patching

Options
jlogan
jlogan Member Posts: 2

Good day all, we are in the process of migrating into Atera from Kaseya and have stumbled on a big ol issue. It seems Atera via Chocolatey are really only able to patch things that Chocolatey installed. And that's where my question comes in. How are folks importing fully built and deployed machines into Atera and getting them patched. We aren't talking about any super obscure software either. Warp client, Webex, Notepad++, etc.

This includes the 365 office suite. It looks like the check box in the IT automation profiles for update office suite isn't working properly.

Comments

• Sarah_from_Atera
    Sarah_from_Atera Administrator Posts: 91 admin
    Options

Hey @jlogan , Sarah from Atera here.

As long as the software application is not installed via our software installation module within Atera (that uses Chocolatey), IT Automation profiles will not be able to update the software app. The only solution would be for you to remove the already existing application and install it using our software installation module.

We do have a list of software applications that are patched regardless of the way they were installed.

Regarding the function in the IT Automation Profile for updating office, please open a ticket with our support team if this continues to happen.

• jlogan
    jlogan Member Posts: 2
    Options

So there is no solution anyone has come up with manage these programs with removing and re-adding them? I am talking about over 1000 computers this would have to be done on.

I have already spoken with support about this issue, including office. I was really hoping someone had come up with a work around. I cant possibly be the first person trying to migrate between management systems.

• pmccoy
    pmccoy Member Posts: 2
    Options

Your not the only person. I am curious about this too. We are looking at Atera as a replacement to Ninja but the way they handle applications doesn't seem great.

• mjones
    mjones Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Does anyone know how Chocolatey "knows" what apps it installed previously?

• Sarah_from_Atera
    Sarah_from_Atera Administrator Posts: 91 admin
    Options

Hey @mjones , when you install software via Chocolatey, there is a folder created with the name of the software. This is how it knows what was installed that way.

• mjones
    mjones Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I've been playing with this for a couple days and the easiest option seems to be to install overtop of the old install.

Basically, just push the install for whatever apps you want, and then they will be updated. In my testing you don't need to do the initial install with Chocolatey, just running it sets everything up.

You could probly hack it into working without needing to push the install, bet seems like extra work for not much benefit.