Splashtop slow, unworkable

Options
gert.verhoeven
gert.verhoeven Member Posts: 23

I always used AnyDesk as I found Splashtop was really slow, but now I'm forced to use Splashtop again I hate the product even more. I can't imagine that this is the normal performance of this product as no-one would be using it.

Question is, is it normal that the standard Splashtop deploy from Atera is slow? And if so, what can we do about it to make it respond faster to keystrokes and mouse movements?

Comments

• andriy.asselberg
    andriy.asselberg Member Posts: 29 ✭✭✭
    edited February 16
    Options

@gert.verhoeven. I have found that Splashtop is not normally "slow". Usually when I experience this, the user in question is connected to either a mobile hotspot or they're in the middle of Timbuktu with a 2mb/s connection. Try restarting the service using Atera's built in Service Manager.

Also, Windows comes built in with an app called Quick Assist. I have found it to be very useful in our environment. Now, by default, it will not show UAC prompts, so if you try to do any "admin" level changes on the machines, you will be met with a black "pause screen".

However, there is a workaround to this issue.

Here's what you can do:

1. Open Command Prompt
    2. type: runas /user:USERNAME_WITH_ADMIN_PRIV cmd.exe
    3. type: secpol.msc
    4. Browse Security Settings - Local Policies - Security Options - User Account Control: Switch to the secure desktop
    5. Disable it
    6. Do your admin work, before you exit the session, make sure the above security setting is set to 'Enable'

Replace USERNAME_WITH_ADMIN_PRIV with the local account with admin privileges. It'll prompt you for the password in command prompt.

##This will also work with AzureAD and Intune managed devices and accounts too.

type: runas /user:AzureAD\USERNAME_WITH_ADMIN_PRIV cmd.exe

I know this isn't a solution to the Splashtop dilemma, but a workaround is a workaround.

• tanderson
    tanderson Member Posts: 198 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@gert.verhoeven we use Splashtop and do not experience any slowness. I would open a ticket with Atera and see if they can fix that for you.

• md
    md Member Posts: 2
    Options

I have the following Issue with Splashtop:

If the Customer uses Teams on the Desktop I can´t connect without interrupting his conversation. He does not hear the Phone Call anymore.

• tanderson
    tanderson Member Posts: 198 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@md That is because you take over the audio feed. It happens all the time when people are listening to music. You remote in, and you can hear the music over the phone stop on their side and start to play through your PC. Then I usually get the "Hey, I was just listening to that song" comment, lol.

• md
    md Member Posts: 2
    Options

@tanderson I understand, but with Teamviewer i can simply disable Computersounds to avoid echoes. The Customer can continue with Teams.
    I have not found the magic Toggle yet.

• gert.verhoeven
    Options

There is a script in the Script Library you can run to diable the audio feed by default.

• gert.verhoeven
    edited February 29
    Options

I can disable it manually after I connect to a client: