What's a great QoL tip for Atera?

Options
danj
danj Member Posts: 6 ✭✭✭

Are there any Settings, scripts or just general tips for using Atera that you couldn't live without?

Comments

• cjeffers
    cjeffers Member Posts: 28 ✭✭✭
    Options

For all applications that we install that are not through the app center in Atera, I usually find the command line installer and create a script for that application. This has been very useful as we manually deploy Atera to every computer and from there we can run the installation for any apps we need or can add applications on the fly without going online to find the installer.

• andriy.asselberg
    andriy.asselberg Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    Options

I sure hope this is the right place for it. Not necessarily Atera specific, but here goes. After you install an RMM (in our environment it was Splashtop) make sure the anti-virus/anti-malware/cloud-based cybersecurity platform you are utilizing is NOT throwing the process or exe into quarantine. During our testing phase, that caused us a lot of headaches.

• cjeffers
    cjeffers Member Posts: 28 ✭✭✭
    Options

I second this. We use BitDefender through Atera, and have run into Atera being flagged by BitDefender in the past, causing issues. I now have exclusions in place that are set up to ignore the Atera processes as well as other softwares we use (backup software, client-specific apps, etc.)

• tanderson
    tanderson Member Posts: 198 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@danj Attach install scripts/apps to the atera install. Create a profile that runs on new installs. When we unbox a PC and get it past the basic setup, all we have to do is run the Atera install and all the basic apps like Chrome and Adobe install. As well as all of our tools, power settings, and configurations.

This is the best time spent on any project I have ever set up. Now I make a profile for each client so when a new PC is installed under that client you don't have to worry about any apps/configurations being missed by a tech. The Atera agent install prompts the automation profile and sets up the PC exactly the way we want with all of our apps in about 15-20 minutes with no user input outside of starting the Atera install, and the PC is put in the correct client group in all of our various portals for our tools. So, there is no accidental installation into the wrong client group as long as you run the correct Atera installer for that client.

• DP
    DP Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
    Options

I'd like to hear more about this. Lately, I noticed that Chrome doesn't install anymore when using app installer.

• andriy.asselberg
    Options

@DP We had this issue in our environment, and it wound up being a (Sophos) firewall rule that was blocking the install. If you try to download the app installer from Google and try to run it manually does Chrome install?

• DP
    DP Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited January 15
    Options

Ya it's weird - all of a sudden, on any machine at all sites, Chrome just doesn't install. Non-browser software is fine, and Chrome locally installs fine. I just tried Brave - it ran the MSI, and it has brave under program files, but looks messed up. I suspect MS is blocking so that others use edge? Firefox installed fine.

• andriy.asselberg
    Options

Hmmm….Sounds like the same situation that we dealt with. We also had the same issue with O365 installs. Had to create "exceptions" for the URL's that MS uses for the installs. We're mostly an MS shop here and Edge is our default. If you have access to the firewall configs, check the rules (DO NOT APPLY ANYTHING WITHOUT CLEARANCE). If not, reach out to the proper department (typically the "Network Team") and have them look into it.

IMO - Edge is just Chrome with MS branding.