Font deployment for client

Options
Scooty
Scooty Member Posts: 4
edited December 2023 in Automations

Hey esteemed collegues,

I have found a great app called Master Packager that allowed me to create an MSI installer for the fonts I require. I was also able to create a PS file to deploy them. Million $$ question is how can I get he MSI onto the client? I guess I could always direct the PS to an online location. My Atera sub doesn't allow for uploading files. Surely there must be a way to deploy the MSI easy?

Comments

• mbudke
    mbudke Member Posts: 85 ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Scooty ,

you could store the msi in the web or fileserver and then download it through the powershell script which also performs the install.

Matthias

• Scooty
    Options

Cheers Matthias. No on site servers or infrastructure. I upgraded to the next level of Atera, copied the MSI to each computer then created a script that basically just runs MSIEXEC and ran it over the computers that were online :-)
    Not ideal but we are talking less than 20 devices for this site so pretty easy and not too time consuming to upload the file. I should look at something betterer though for this sort of stuff, online WWW, SharePoint, Dropbox or the like then use wget to grab the file and deploy locally

• mbudke
    mbudke Member Posts: 85 ✭✭✭
    Options

Maybe great idea for Atera to provide a solution like an "Atera temporary storage" which is only available when running the script.

• Scooty
    Options

That's a great idea Matthias and it doesn't have to be a large repository in most cases! Scale according to your plan ;-)

• tanderson
    tanderson Member Posts: 198 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Scooty @Matthias You can upload it to Sharepoint and then create a download link. We have been doing that for some items, and it works well. Atera will be adding a custom software repository soon, from what I gathered in a conversation with them. Not sure if it will be locked behind a specific level of subscription.

• Scooty
    Options

Pretty much what my command is Frank :-) msiexec /i file.msi /qn :-)

• sarah+success
    sarah+success Administrator Posts: 70 admin
    Options

Just want to jump in here to say this is what the Atera Community is all about!

So happy to see community members coming together to help each other 🤗

• jhall
    jhall Member Posts: 2
    Options

Ok, this was a huge help! I have some parameters that I want to pass along. Does that have to be done in the argument field? I have a token that is a public parameter. So it would look something like SITE_TOKEN='string'

This would be the full command line if I was not using Atera:

msiexec.exe /i "filepath\file.msi" ALLUSERS=1 /qn /norestart /log output.log /q /norestart UI=false SITE_TOKEN="stringvalue"

• frank.pietersma
    frank.pietersma Member Posts: 78 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

Yes it has to be done in the argument field.
    Just upload the MSI and fill out the argument field: /qn ALLUSERS=1 /norestart /L*v output.log.

"UI=false" is not necessary since /qn already makes sure there is no gui.
    L*V is for verbose logging
    SIte_token is something specific for that MSI so not sure, you have to test it.
    open a cmd window and type: msiexec too see all the arguments you can use.

• kim
    kim Member Posts: 113 ✭✭✭
    Options

I think this is such a cool idea. I use Atera's Shared Script library quite a bit, because how efficient the community is at writing useful scripts to use in my environment. Having a little sandbox to test some of these scripts would be really beneficial. Love it!

• tanderson
    tanderson Member Posts: 198 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Scooty I don't think you will need to look for solutions "outside of Atera" much longer… 😉

• dyoder
    dyoder Member Posts: 52 ✭✭✭
    Options

I use Wasabi for object storage. So for big binary blobs that I need to get on endpoints, I just put the data into a bucket there and access it directly from my scripts.

Side note - something to help simplify your MSI installer scripts is that Windows Installer will automatically handle downloading the MSI. If you do have an MSI hosted somewhere, you can install it in 1 line and directly reference the URL as the path to the MSI msiexec.exe /i https://path.to/file /qn. Not earth shattering, but it can simplify things just a little 😀