Chocolatey bin path moved

Options
dfletcher
dfletcher Member Posts: 25 ✭✭

We have quite a few scripts that call applications installed through a software bundle. We rely on these for management of our agents.

Today this broke on a newly installed agent.

We have been referencing c:\programdata\chocolatey\bin to get to the executables. On a new agent installed today that folder does not exist. Instead the executables are in C:\Program Files (x86)\ATERA Networks\AteraAgent\Packages\AgentPackageProgramManagement\bin

This breaks all sorts of things for us. We can't just update our scripts, as that will break things in all our previously deployed agents.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• dfletcher
    Options
    Looks like it's been put back where it was. I hope it stays there.

• dfletcher
    Options

OK, I might have a workaround.

I created a script to check the location of the bin directory and create a directory junction if it's in the new location. I had to create a junction for the lib directory as well for it to work.

I'll continue testing, but it looks like this will have to be part of our agent deployment moving forward.

FixBinDir.ps1

#Check if c:\programdata\chocolatey\bin exists
    if(Test-Path "c:\programdata\chocolatey\bin"){
    Write-Host "c:\programdata\chocolatey\bin already exists"
    exit
    } #Check if C:\Program Files (x86)\ATERA Networks\AteraAgent\Packages\AgentPackageProgramManagement\bin exists if(Test-Path "C:\Program Files (x86)\ATERA Networks\AteraAgent\Packages\AgentPackageProgramManagement\bin"){
    # Create directory junction
    New-Item -ItemType Junction -Path "c:\programdata\chocolatey\bin" -Target "C:\Program Files (x86)\ATERA Networks\AteraAgent\Packages\AgentPackageProgramManagement\bin"
    Write-Host "Directory junction created at c:\programdata\chocolatey\bin"
    New-Item -ItemType Junction -Path "c:\programdata\chocolatey\lib" -Target "C:\Program Files (x86)\ATERA Networks\AteraAgent\Packages\AgentPackageProgramManagement\lib"
    Write-Host "Directory junction created at c:\programdata\chocolatey\lib"
    exit
    } #If neither directory exists, write message and exit Write-Host "No bin directory found"
    exit

• nina
    nina Administrator Posts: 428 admin
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

can we get official clarification from the team, what the status is on this please - was it a permanent change ? Was it reverted ?