Windows 11 Best Practice

Options
megan
megan Member Posts: 3

Hi All,
Does anyone know of a Windows pc best practice assessment/ scan tool that is available? When taking on new clients I’d like to run this tool against their Windows machines to get a baseline.

thanks

Comments

• andriy.asselberg
    andriy.asselberg Member Posts: 29 ✭✭✭
    Options

Depending on what you actually need to use it for, but this seems like a job for the Windows Assessment Toolkit.

Check it out here:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/test/assessments/windows-assessment-console-step-by-step-guide

I came across this a few days ago when trying to figure out better ways to image machines in our environment. Still playing around with it when I have downtime, but it seems pretty comprehensive.

• tanderson
    tanderson Member Posts: 198 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@megan I have used Network Detective before, and that works well. The honest reasons I don't use it anymore are the cost is a bit much, the provider is Kaseya, and I have nothing but bad things to say about that company and my experience with them. Your mileage may vary.

However, Network Detective is very good at what you are looking for. It gets installed on one machine, preferably the Domain Controller, and it scans everything and gives you a detailed report on everything that is good, could be better, and needs immediate attention.

At my last job, we used it to talk to the clients about needed projects and to upsell products that would resolve specific issues that Network Detective outlined. Also, our techs used it to resolve all the low-hanging "easy" things that had no reason to get approval from the client because it wouldn't affect things that they would see. More behind-the-scenes security stuff.

If you find an alternative, please let me know. I have been looking for one for a while.

• tanderson
    Options
  • megan
    Options

Hi,
    thanks for the input. I will look at both of these options and circle back with some feedback. I’ve got to get through this Teams phone migration and then I can address this again. I appreciate your thoughts.

• tanderson
    Options

@megan Good luck with that! I have heard their PBX solution is not as robust as other VOIP providers. I would be interested in hearing how well that goes.

• mjones
    mjones Member Posts: 137 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Ya, the Kaseya thing is a real bummer for most people in the know.

I thought it did a great job also for the most part, but the reports were a bit messy imo.

• mjones
    mjones Member Posts: 137 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I wouldn't so much call it a PBX at all, it's really just being able to make and receive calls from Teams.

• megan
    Options

The Teams migration went VERY well. I moved the customer off an old and failing Mitel system. They had 4 lines and all calls were bursting to every phone in the office. It was very loud. Within Teams I setup an Auto Attendant with a few options and a call queue for the Front desk folks. Its 6 AudioCodes handsets and the rest are all Teams client.