Client IP address

AElliott
AElliott Member Posts: 12

We've discovered that the Private IP on a device's page does not get updated when networks change. For instance, when someone closes their laptop at home and then opens it in the office, the Private IP address is their home subnet. This is just an example. This also happens when migrating from any connection to any new connection.

How do we get this to update more frequently? How do we force a manual update of this information from the Atera agent?

I'm starting to wonder if this is why Splashtop has so much trouble connecting these days.

Comments

• mbudke
    mbudke Member Posts: 123 ✭✭✭

Hi @AElliott ,

just a "try" but can you open the services of an impacted computer and restart the Atera services?
    Maybe this fixes your issue temporary.

I would suggest to contact Atera via the chat support and even better when you have an example by hand so they can directly check it.

Matthias

• AElliott

I can open CMD under Manage, and do an IP config to get the correct info. The issue is that the private IP information is used by our staff to determine which location a particular user is that day, based on the internal subnet they're connected to. That's not that big of a deal, but after typing out the original post, I realized that the IP not updating might have something to do with Splashtop not wanting to connect half of the time.

• mbudke
    mbudke Member Posts: 123 ✭✭✭

Hi @AElliott ,

for your specific use-case you can make your life a bit easier.
    You can run a script in regular intervals on the PCs to get the local IP and based on the IP you can update a custom field for your customer agent.

This is an example how to read a custom value:
    https://support.atera.com/hc/en-us/articles/360019156800-Get-the-value-for-custom-fields-in-scripts

You can do the same for writing a custom value:
    https://app.atera.com/apidocs#/CustomValues

Based on your license you can create an advanced report with the custom fields which even allows to use location names and not IP subnets.

In regards to Splashtop I am using it quite often and do not have any problems.

Matthias

• AElliott

Thanks for the input. I don't need a report. I need to be able to click on a device and know which of our locations (or off-corp location) a device is at, and which subnet it is using at that location within seconds of being asked. (wireless devices can be any number of three different subnets when on our networks)

• gilgi
    gilgi Administrator, Moderator, Internal Posts: 248 admin

Heya @AElliott
    I've checked this with our support team, they've requested if you can open a ticket with them at support@atera.com as this is not a known issue that they could share a resource with you to resolve on your end.

Let us know if you found the solution and if it was indeed splashtop related!

• COOLNETAU
    COOLNETAU Member Posts: 50

hey @AElliott please get back to us, or @gilgi with the resolution to this. if there is one